Channel 5 viewers shed tears of joy after watching the fate of a baby elephant at the Thai elephant hospital last night.
Two-year-old Minnie was being treated for the Herpes Virus in Elephants, which can kill animals, at Lampang’s Elephant Hospital, where the show was filmed.
100 sick and in.jur.ed elephants are treated at the center each year, with elephant keepers, known as mahouts, tending to them, and wildlife expert Dr. Paul O’Donoghue visiting the hospital to observe their work.
Firecracker Minnie was put on a course of antibiotics after being diagnosed and shocked viewers’ hearts.
Many people noted that they were disappointed about the hospital’s use of chains on their animal patients.
Channel 5 viewers were left in ‘tears of joy following the fate of a baby elephant at a Thai elephant hospital last night. Two-year-old Minnie was being treated for the Elephant Herpes Virus, which can kill the animals, at the Lampang’s Elephant Hospital where the show, which aired last night, was filmed
During the show, we learned that the virus Minnie suffered from had killed 60 baby elephants across Thailand in the past 12 months.
Marty, her carer, said he was worried about her and was always by her side.
He’s having a hard time giving stubborn Minnie 60 anti-viral pills a day, she doesn’t necessarily want to take them.
“Like any baby animal, they don’t like to take medicine, but you put it on a banana and it’s their favorite food,” said Paul.
Minnie had a fever and her behavior changed, which tipped the doctors off that something was not right
Smart Marty will hide some medicine in bananas that he has peeled and fed Minnie every day.
Paul observed that the caretaker and the elephant were ‘thick as thieves and that Marty would rarely leave Minnie’s side.
The baby elephant sounded the alarm at the hospital when she showed a lack of energy.
Elephant herpes, first reported in Asia in 1995, is a hemorrhagic disease particularly fatal to elephant calves. For animals to survive, they need to be treated quickly, and only a third of newborns recover completely.
Wildlife expert Dr. Pau; Donoghue traveled to the Lampang’s Elephant Hospital in Thailand to see how it worked
One of the first symptoms of the disease was a high temperature, which meant that a doctor from Elephant Hospital had to take Minnie’s temperature by holding a thermometer to her bottom for one minute.
Minnie’s temperature was over 90 degrees Fahrenheit, confirming the fears she had contracted the virus.
She was immediately put on a course of antibiotics to fight the disease.
Thankfully, Minnie’s treatment was successful thanks to Marty’s unwavering care.
Carers, called mahouts, look after the elephants and their calves, making sure they are healthy
This is good news for the viewers of the show, who felt sorry for the poor baby elephant.
One said: “Nice to see Minnie recover, such a good show.
“Wow, Minnie is a little scared! But glad to see she’s recovered!! Now I want to bathe an elephant for its friendship,’ another said.
‘Great news for Minnie and everyone taking care at Elephant Hospital. Another elephant lover said.
Another shared: ‘Love #ElephantHospital on ch5 but it made my heart flutter with the sick baby elephant and its mother always lovingly nearby. ”
However, some viewers said it was difficult for them to enjoy the show because the hospital kept some elephants still using chains.
‘Don’t like seeing chains wrapped around elephants’ necks and they really shouldn’t be riding anymore. Managed 5 minutes of #ElephantHospital & had to turn it off. It’s a shame because they’re my favorite animals,’ one said.
‘Watching #ElephantHospital not happy about the number of chained elephants! Are they just sending the poor creatures back to the tourist trade,’ another said.